Thursday, February 14, 2013

Dear Senator,

Good morning and Happy Valentine's Day to you all!

I finally decided to get politically involved.  Yesterday I emailed my state representative, state senator, and Congressman with my hopes that they support two of the recommended changes in gun laws.  Specifically, I hoped for support for strengthened background checks and limiting magazine clips.  The texts of all the emails were pretty much the same.

Last night I got a few messages from Minnesota state senator Dave Osmek that left me startled.  I'm going to include the full exchange below to see what you all think; my Facebook friends were pretty flabbergasted and I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in thinking this is a little off the rails.  For your viewing pleasure:


Shannon Heupel 2/13/2013 12:30 PM >>>
“Certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited.” - Ronald Reagan


Dear Senator Osmek,

I strongly support efforts to prevent gun violence by innovating and updating Minnesota's background check system to make sure all gun sales require a background check. 

Please consider support for limiting magazine capacity as well.  My best friend lives in Newtown.  I know the pain these families are enduring.  Six little boys survived that day when the gunman stopped shooting briefly, presumably to reload.  There is no legitimate civilian need for large capacity magazines and lives can be saved.  Not all lives, but some lives.  


Please show strong and brave leadership for those of us sick of living under the constant threat of gun violence and help stop this epidemic.
Sincerely,

Shannon Heupel


Ms Heupel,


I strongly support improving the background check system with the BCA, to make the checks faster and have more impact.  Keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill is important.

As to banning magazine capacities, your comments really tell you why I would not support this legislation.  Limiting the capacity to 10 only means the criminal just needs a second to pop the clip and reload.  The bans have no real-world impact.  I refuse to support legislation that uses a tragedy in this way, so we must agree to disagree on this.
I do not fear law abiding citizens and if they are armed.  Years ago, anti-gun zealots claimed Minnesota would become the "Wild Wild West" with improved conceal-carry laws.  Nothing could be further from the truth...and reality.
Dave

Shannon Heupel 02/13/13 3:50 PM 

I would also like to point out that the majority of the public supports banning the larger capacity clips.  And if you ask the parents of the six kids who survived in the Sandy Hook shooting because they had a split second to run, I think they would disagree with you that it's not worth it.  Everything about those guns and that ammunition was legal - right up until the morning of 12/14.  

  I'm disappointed to hear your views on this and will bear that in mind at election time.  
Thank you though, for taking the time to respond to my email.
Shannon 







Ms Heupel,


That you believe the "majority of the public" supports your position is rather illustrative of your inability to understand the subject.  Based on the eMails and phone calls to my office, you are in the severe minority on this subject.

Also, perhaps you should listen to the father of one of the dead children, who completely agrees and supports my position.  But, I completely understand why you don't want to let a good tragedy go to waste. 
Dave



Ms Hempel:


By the way, I noticed you are a blogger.

I particularly enjoy the comments about being a "fully recovered Republican", and the blogs you have read.
Dave
 Sen.David Osmek 02/13/13 7:54 PM



Okay.  So what do you think?

My takeaway here...

We've gotten to a very ugly place when an elected official decides I'm fair game for insults and bullying because of my political affiliations.  Like it or not, Dave, you work for ALL of us.  My taxes help pay you.

If we don't tell our legislators what we think/want, they have no idea.  Dave seems to think that phone calls and emails to his office are a better scientific gauge as to public opinion than polls, so if you carry a different opinion, you should let him know.  Despite my "inability to understand the situation," I am most assuredly not in a "severe minority."  Republican friends, especially, please let him know where you stand, as Democrats' opinions don't count with his office.

I know that many of my Republican friends, including those in law enforcement, like and support both of these proposals.  PLEASE let your representatives know if you feel this way.

And if you, like one of my favorite Republican friends, think that, "obviously, Osmek is an ass," then feel free to share that with him too.

As far as politicizing a tragedy... I don't even know how to respond to that.  We are human beings, and we react when we see something wrong happening.  Sandy Hook parents are making appearances and pleas for change, not for political or financial gain, but because they want to stop this madness.  We make laws as needed to protect our citizens.  This is NOT politicizing something or taking advantage of a "good tragedy" (what a despicable phrase); this is our responsibility to one another.  I wanted to "do something" after my mom was killed and realized that what I was up against was insurmountable.  Truly.  This time, that's not the case.  We can make a difference.

I did see the testimony from James Mattioli's father, who does say that more gun laws aren't the answer, but rather, enforcement of our current laws should be where to start.  Most of the Newtown parents, however, are making statements supporting multi-faceted changes, including stricter laws on guns.  So while Dave tells me I should listen to this father, and I did, I would ask that he then listen to the other 19 kids' parents too.

Please, please, please - if you have an opinion on this, make it known. Wherever you live, please take a moment to get involved in your own district- whatever your beliefs.

Blessings and Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Unbelievably nasty words from an elected official. Not living in Minnesota I had never heard of him, my forever impression when I hear it again will be David Osmek = ASSHAT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean & I are moved to action with this Shannon, thanks for sharing. Just give us a day or two to craft respectful responses to this public servant. Our knee jerk initial reaction to this gentlemen (and I use that term loosely) would not serve our cause well and could come off as spiteful with a hint of playground smack talk. We're all better than that and you're right we can make a difference! "Good tragedy", ugh.....isn't that a useful soundbite Osmek's contender can use if he runs again. You can't make this stuff up.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete