Thursday, June 2, 2011

In Grateful Appreciation


Today I want to extend my sympathy to the family of Officer Kevin Will of the Houston P.D.  He worked in Vehicular Crimes and was a friend of my favorite police officer, who shall remain nameless so I don't embarrass him.

A link to the story follows:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8166018

Officer Will died on the same stretch of highway - the North Loop - as my mother, just a few miles away.  Many of the stories about his killing focus a great deal on the fact that the drunk driver who caused his death is an illegal immigrant.  I don't intend to touch that subject.  What I want to convey is my deep respect and gratitude to all those who take on a job that is much more dangerous than most realize.

It surprises me that the Boys in Blue are so often maligned, that people want to find reasons to hate the police as often as possible, without ever acknowledging the very difficult lives they've chosen.  I compare it to the military - low pay, dangerous conditions, uncertainty, disrupted lives, extreme stress and exposure to nightmarish and unforgettable scenes of death and damage... yet police are not often given the same level of respect and gratitude as our soldiers.  They have a never-ending mission that they're often forced to perform with their hands tied.

Look specifically at the case of Vehicular Crimes officers.  Their jobs are often performed in one of the most dangerous locations around - the side of the road.  Until my mother died, I never thought twice about Vehicle Crimes.  The work is slow, painstaking stuff, and most of the time, charges aren't filed.  Even when a driver is found to be at fault, there must be extenuating circumstances like drugs, alcohol, excessive speed, etc. for criminal charges to be filed.  How disheartening to see so many victims with no one being called to account for the carnage.

I can't begin to describe the level of patience, kindness, and hard work that I've seen from this department.  I am forever in its debt.  Today, if you see a police officer in your midst, why not shake his or her hand or buy them a cup of coffee if they are in line with you, just as so many do for our active military?  For these souls, it's not a tour of duty - it's an entire life choice.  For the family of Kevin Will, a choice that took away a husband and father far too soon.  Thank you to ALL who serve, here or around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment